November 17, 2012

1

Age/sex:  13 year old girl
How many kids are in your family? 4; 2 girls, and 2 boys
How many are adopted? 1 girl
Age of adopted sibling(s): 7
How long has your adopted sibling been home? A little over 1 year

What should we know about you?
I love reading and knitting and acting, and I love hanging out with my friends.

Describe yourself to someone who can’t see you.
I am probably average height and weight for a girl my age. I have long dirty blonde hair (it isn't actually dirty, that's just what it's called) and hazel eyes.

What should we know about your adopted sibling?
She has Cerebral Palsy, which is a brain damage. She couldn't walk until a little before my parents went to get her. And she was adopted from Ukraine.

What did you think when your parents first talked to you about adoption? How was it explained to you?
I was like, "Awesome, I'll finally have a sister!" I didn't really think about the CP that much. I just thought, so what?

What did you think/feel as you waited for your sibling to come home?
I felt really excited! And I couldn't wait to actually meet her face-to-face instead of just on Skype.

What were your first thoughts/feelings when you met your new sibling?
I thought she was really cute, and I was excited to bring her home to see her room and the house and all that.

How did your life change when your new sibling came home?
Well, our whole family couldn't really do things together as much, because she had to be in bed by a certain time or else she would get really disobedient. But whenever she went to bed after it had been a bad day, we would all be like, "yay! She's finally in bed!"

What surprised you the most about your sibling?
I guess her walking. I mean, I knew she had a disability and that she couldn't walk as well as some other people, but I didn't think it was going to be as bad as it was.

What’s the best advice you’ve given or been given?
My mom has given me a lot of good advice about what to do in certain situations.

Is it different being the sibling of an adopted brother/sister than biological?  If yes, how?
Yes, definitely!  She talks with an accent, and none of us do. But it's also different because since she's so much younger than we are she doesn't understand how to play some of the games that we all love to play.

What do you tell your friends about your sibling?
We don't really talk about her, unless like I say that she's had a bad week or something.

How would you describe your relationship with your sibling?
It's okay. It's not as good as my relationship with my biological bros, but I've known them all of my life!

Do you like hanging out with your sibling?
It depends on what we're doing. Some things are really fun with her, but other times she just gets in the way.

What is your favorite memory of your adopted sibling?
Probably when I first met her at the airport. I was so excited!!

Can you imagine what life would be like if your family hadn’t adopted your sibling?
Not really. I mean, life right now is normal. Sometimes I try to imagine what it would be like if she didn't have disability, but I know that can never happen.

What’s the nicest thing someone has done for (or said to) you?
Lots of people give me nice compliments, so it's hard to pick out which are the nicest.

Was it easy to adjust to having your new sibling in the family?
It was kinda hard at first, but it got easier.

What are some advantages – good parts - of having an adopted sibling?
You can pick how old you want the child to be, or gender or something like that, and then once he/she is home, you (depending on how bad the disability is) might get to park in a handicapped spot in a parking lot so you don't have to walk as far.

What are some disadvantages – not so good parts – of having an adopted sibling?
Well, (if they have a disability) you can't really play normal games, because they can't run/walk very good, or people at stores or something will look at him/her weird.

How has your family life changed through adopting a child?
Well, we're more limited now than we were, as to what we can do.

If you could change just one thing about your sibling, what would it be?
I would take away her disability.

What are some words or phrases you use the most?
With my friends I say things like, 'I know, right?' Or 'Oh my goodness' and things like that.

Knowing what you know now, would your reaction have been different if your parents told you they’re going to adopt a child?
It depends on if the child had a disability or not.

Has your sibling ever embarrassed you? How?
She has a couple times, like when I'm talking to someone about something private, and she comes over and hears the last couple of words and then she starts asking people what it means and stuff like that.

Does your sibling ever frustrate you? How?
Yes, she does. Like sometimes she comes into my room, and I usually let her stay in there for a little bit, but then when I ask her to get out she usually doesn't, and that gets annoying.

Is there anything about your sibling that just makes you smile? What?
Yeah, like the way she pronounces some of her words, or some things that she has said before are funny!!

Is there anything about your sibling that just makes you angry? What?
There probably is, but I can't think of anything right now.

Do you think being a sibling has affected your personality? How?
Probably. One of my friends dad said that he was surprised at how calm and patient I was after being seated next to his baby boy on an hour long trip while he was crying, and I wouldn't have really thought of myself as being that patient before we brought my sister home.

If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be? Why?
Probably someone from the bible. I don't really know who or why though.......

How do your friends treat your sibling?
They treat her how they treat other kids her age.

What annoys you the most about how people treat your sibling?
I don't like it sometimes when people say, "how is your sister?" And then they don't ask how I'm doing.

Do you ever wish you were adopted so your parents would give you more attention?
No, I've never thought that. I have wished that they would give me more attention a couple of times, though.

Do your relatives treat your adopted sibling differently than you?  How does that make you feel?
A little, but that could be because I'm 13 and she's 7. They also know that she can't go as fast as her cousins so they try to pick different games, if they're picking at all. And sometimes they can't understand what she said, so they need a 'translator'. It makes me feel fine. If I had been adopted then I probably would want them to treatment the same way!

What makes you proud of your sibling?
When she walks really well.

What has been your happiest moment in life (so far)?
When I was born was a pretty happy time! But another one was when someone that I had just met said I was pretty. I didn't really know what to say to her after that, so I just said thanks.

Do you ever feel invisible?
I have at some times, and other times I wish I was.

What is your favorite thing about your adopted sibling?
I finally have a sister!

What is the hardest thing about having an adopted sibling?
When she cries and screams like a little baby.

What life lesson have you learned from having an adopted sibling?
Stay very calm at all times when you're talking to them when they're little.

If you had one wish for your adopted sibling, what would it be?
That she could live a happy, normal life.

Describe a perfect day:
I would wake up feeling rested, and then I would go to the kitchen and find that my brother had made me pancakes (or waffles) for breakfast! And there would be no school. And maybe my sister could go play at her friends house so that the rest of us could go on a long walk in perfect weather. And then some of my friends would come to my house and spend the night!

What’s the weirdest question you’ve ever been asked about your sibling?
"What's wrong with her legs?" Is a pretty common question.

Do your parents include you in discussions about your sibling?  How does that make you feel?
Yes, they do.  I'm glad that they do!

What do you see for your sibling’s future? What part do you think you’ll play in that future?
I think she will be a veterinarian, and I might help out on some days!

Is there anything you wish your parents had done differently in regards to the adoption?
No, I think they did fine!

If your best friend told you his/her family is going to adopt a child, what would your reaction be? What advice would you give your friend?
I'd think, awesome! Now you will know what I've been going through! I'd probably say, "there are going to be some bad days, and some good ones, but in the end it will be awesome!"

What would you think if your parents told you they’re going to adopt again?
I'd probably think, "okay, just not another kid with a disability."

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I'd probably be a teacher in an awesome school teaching a class for 2nd graders (maybe) and perhaps married or engaged.

Leave us with your favorite quote, Scripture, poem or song lyric:
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. James 1:17

No comments:

Post a Comment